This guest post was originally posted on Koumori-no-hime’s journal on Deviantart, and I had to share! Hope it helps everyone out!
If any of my friends see this, they will find it hilarious since my sewing supplies are always disorganized. Anyway, here are some tips to keep your cosplaying in order.
1. To keep from losing parts of your costume and to make it easier to pack for con, store cosplay components together. I personally hang my costumes up in the closet and store the accessories in a baggie looped onto the hanger of the costume they go with. I’ve also seen cosplayers store costumes in garment bags and plastic containers labeled with the character’s name.
2. Keep a mini trashcan next to your sewing machine to toss stray thread clippings as you sew. That way they don’t end up on the floor and all over your new costume.
3. Store pins in a box, pin cushion, or other container so they don’t end up all over the room (I am guilty of this). There are also magnets that can be attached to sewing machines to catch stray pins.
4. Store liquids like dyes and paints in their own container so that if one of them spills it will not ruin other crafting supplies.
5. Line up spools and bobbins of thread instead of just tossing them in a drawer where they will easily tangle.
6. Cute little chests with drawers are great for holding notions like buttons and snaps.
7. Some cosplayers have bulletin boards to keep reference pictures handy.