I get asked a lot how I have time to get anything done with all the stuff I’m doing… I currently work a full-time job with 40+ hours a week, help out with marketing for a store run by friends of mine, and then run my own store. In between all of that, I work on costumes for myself. I’m getting better with planning and budgeting time, and I’ll be doing a review of a product to show you how you can do the same in a later post. For now, though, I figured I could share some of the things I do.
To start off, I’ve been sewing for over fifteen years now, so I quickly learned ways to build things at a decent speed when I need to. That doesn’t mean I like to rush, but I can if I’m nearing a deadline (like Denver Comic Con in June).
- Get everything cut out all at once, or separate it into major sections so you don’t have to spend too much time and energy on something so tedious. I just did a bunnysuit recently, so I cut out all the fabric one night, then the lining the next, and the interfacing on the third night.
- Pin everything you can so you can just toss under a machine when you have time. As I cut out the bunnysuit, I would pin pieces together, so I could just start sewing as soon as I was done with all the time-consuming stuff. I would also skip ahead and see where I could pin other pieces not involved on what I was sewing, so I could just do it all at once.
- Do all your ironing at once, if you can. I did this with the interfacing and as many seams as I could, just so I wouldn’t have to get the iron ready and let it cool a lot. Plus, then I had more space without the ironing board out. 😀
- Save the most time-consuming aspects for the last part if you can and plan to do that when you have the most time. For me, that’s installing the zippers, handstitching, etc.
- A trick I like to do is sewing a hem in one spot before heading to work, and pinning another to do when I get home. If I have time, I repeat, so I can do the same thing the next day before work.
Those are all my major cheats I can think of. Do you have any that you want to share??